Landmarks of the evolution of Romanian religious education in South-West Transylvania up to the Great War (1914-1918)Journal: Research in Pedagogy (Vol.5, No. 2)
Publication Date: 2015-12-26
Authors : Florin Dobrei;
Page : 63-72
Keywords : religious education; Church; Hunedoara; Transylvania; Romania;
The beginnings of education in Transylvania are owed to villages, priests and monks, thus were lost in the mists of time. Although there were official concerns for educating the faithful since medieval times, the first Romanian schools in southwestern Transylvania ? space circumscribed from the administrative-territorial point of view to current Hunedoara County ? appear only in the eighteenth century. However, the Orthodox religious education is linked, unquestionably, with the name of great patriot and scholar Andrei ?aguna, secretary of the Metropolitan Consistory of Karlovac (1835-1842), professor at the Romanian Department of the Theological Seminary in Vršac (1842-1846), abbot of Coville monastery (1845-1846), general vicar (1846-1848), then bishop (1848-1864) and metropolitan (1864-1873) of the Greek-Eastern Romanian Diocese not united with Rome of Transylvania.
Other Latest Articles
Last modified: 2016-02-10 23:00:51