Assessment of the Relative Suitability of Three Different Soils for Dry Season Lettuce Production in GhanaJournal: International Journal of Environment, Agriculture and Biotechnology (Vol.2, No. 5)
Publication Date: 2017-09-12
Authors : Benette Yaw Osei Martha Agyiri Emmanuel Kwasi Aseidu Kofi Agyarko;
Page : 2546-2553
Keywords : Calcic Vertisol (Akuse series); Chromic Luvisol (Bediest series); Lettuce; Rodic Nitisol (Ejura sesries).;
The research was conducted at the project site of the University of Educatoion, Winneba - Mampong campus between mid - November 2007 and Mid-April 2008. The main objective of the study was to compare the relative suitability of three soils in supporting lettuce production in the dry season. The treatments were Calcic Vertisol (Akuse scries), Rodic Nitisol (Ejura sesries) and Chromic Luvisol (Bediest series). The randomized complete block design was used in a pot experience with the three treatments and each replicated three times. Plant height, fresh leaf mass, leaf dry matter yield, fresh root mass, gravimetric moisture content, total porosity, drainability and bulk density were the parameters considered. From the result Bediesi Series recorded the highest growth rate as measured by plant height (266.5mm), fresh leaf weight (30.6g), leaf dry matter weight (4.9g) at 7 weeks after transplanting as well as been the most succulent with 84% succulent. Fresh root weight however, was highest with Akuse Series followed by Bediesi Series and Ejura Series in that decreasing order. Ejura Series recorded the least value for all growth and yield parameters measured. For soil parameters, Akuse Series recorded the highest value for porosity (43.0%) and gravimetric moisture of 6.43 throughout the period of field drying for 8weeks. Ejura Series Bediesi Series also recorded the highest value for drainability after 25 minutes of drainage, followed by Bediesi Series and then Akuse Series. The result of this work indicated that the Bediesi Series is the best soil type among the soils evaluated for lettuce production in the dry season in Ghana.
Other Latest Articles
- Formation of Network Resources of Ukrainian Bibliographers Studies and its Development Prospects
- The "Crucifixion" subject on narrative centerpieces of Ukrainian stamped bindings of ХVІ–ХVІІІ centuries and unification of description for databases
- Correspondence of M. M. Berezhkov and K. M. Bestuzhev-Riumin: the source study review
- From unpublished heritage of a famous linguist: an article of A. O. Biletsky "Σαστήρ – vox obscura"
- On the history of publication of T. Shevchenko "Kobzar" by Saint Petersburg "Charity Society of Publication of Universally Beneficial and Cheap Books for Public"
Last modified: 2017-10-26 01:05:30