ResearchBib Share Your Research, Maximize Your Social Impacts
Sign for Notice Everyday Sign up >> Login


Journal: International Journal of Physiotherapy and Research (IJPR) (Vol.2, No. 3)

Publication Date:

Authors : ; ;

Page : 511-517

Keywords : Person with disability; Legal rights.;

Source : Downloadexternal Find it from : Google Scholarexternal


A disability is restriction or lack of ability to perform an activity in a manner or within the range considered normal for a human being. The prevalence of disability is 7 per 1000 live births in India. 20% are not aware about the legal issues for person with disability in developing countries. It has never received adequate attention from society. Ignorance, lack of awareness and lack of knowledge make the disability invisible. Most of the authorities appointed the legislation are not fully functional.This study was to find out family awareness of legal rights of person with disability to ensure dignity and legal rights. 224 legal adult family members were surveyed through schedule method with a questionnaire about disability and acts (Person with disability act, mental health act, united nation convention of person with disability and national trust act) of Indian constitution including awareness. The questionnaire consisting of 20 questions about these acts were content validated for these purpose. The data were analyzed by using percentage values to make interpretation. Out of 224 surveyed 72.32% (162) did not know about the Indian constitution for disabled people. Remaining 27.67% (62) knew about the acts and only 11.60% were getting benefitted from such acts. Family awareness about legislation in child with disability is less and needs immediate attention to improve quality of life and rehabilitation of persons with disabilities.

Last modified: 2014-06-11 12:16:54