Clinical Pharmacists in Chronic care [Part 1] | BiomedgridJournal: American Journal of Biomedical Science & Research (Vol.6, No. 1)
Publication Date: 2019-10-29
Authors : Abdul Kader Mohiuddin;
Page : 47-60
Keywords : Chronic care; Pharmacy intervention; Diabetes care; CVD prevention; Inflammatory bowel disease; AJBSR;
Pharmacy practice has changed substantially in recent years. The professionals could contribute directly to patient care in order to reduce morbimortality related to medication use, promoting health and preventing diseases. Healthcare organizations worldwide are under substantial pressure from increasing patient demand. Unfortunately, a cure is not always possible particularly in this era of chronic diseases, and the role of physicians has become limited to controlling and palliating symptoms. The increasing population of patients with long-term conditions are associated with high levels of morbidity, healthcare costs and GP workloads. Clinical pharmacy took over an aspect of medical care that had been partially abandoned by physicians. Overburdened by patient loads and the explosion of new drugs, physicians turned to pharmacists more and more for drug information, especially within institutional settings. Once relegated to counting and pouring, pharmacists headed institutional reviews of drug utilization and served as consultants to all types of health-care facilities. In addition, when clinical pharmacists are active members of the care team, they enhance efficiency by: Providing critical input on medication use and dosing. Working with patients to solve problems with their medications and improve adherence.
Other Latest Articles
- China Embraces Capitalism and the Prospect of Bankruptcy of State-Owned and Private Companies: Can Provisions for Individual Bankruptcy Be Far Behind?
- Educational Assessment and Some Related Indicators of Educational Equality and Equity
- Knowledge, Attitude and Practical Response of Adult Population to Global Campaign on Climate Change in Lagos State, Nigeria
- Influence of Granulometry of the Small Aggregate on the Permeability of Wall Cement Coating
- Destination of Organic Waste Produced at Manaus Free Fairs
Last modified: 2019-12-03 13:46:19