ResearchBib Share Your Research, Maximize Your Social Impacts
Sign for Notice Everyday Sign up >> Login

Assessment of efficacy and safety of artesunate plus sulfadoxine pyrimethamine combination for treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria

Journal: International Journal of Basic & Clinical Pharmacology (Vol.3, No. 3)

Publication Date:

Authors : ; ; ; ; ;

Page : 465-469

Keywords : Uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria; Artemisinin based combination therapy; Artesunate + sulfadoxine pyrimethamine;

Source : Downloadexternal Find it from : Google Scholarexternal


Background: Resistance of Plasmodium falciparum to antimalarial drugs is common in India. World Health Organization (WHO) recommends artemisinin based combination therapy (ACT) to counter the development of resistance in P. falciparum. WHO recommends that ideally antimalarial drug treatment policy or guidelines should be reviewed regularly and updated at least once every 24 months. In consideration to the above recommendation, we planned to conduct the following study. The objective was to determine the efficacy and safety of artesunate + sulphadoxine pyrimethamine (AS + SP) in patients with uncomplicated P. falciparum malaria. Methods: The study included 60 patients of uncomplicated P. falciparum. Each patient received AS + SP as per WHO guidelines. Diagnosis was confirmed by peripheral blood film. All patients were followed up on days 1, 3, 14, and 28 for detailed clinical and parasitological examination. Results: Of a total 60 patients, 55 patients were followed up for 28 days. Remaining 5 patients were lost in follow up. As per protocol analysis, 91% (50) of patients had demonstrated adequate clinical and parasitological response. Remaining 9% (5) had treatment failure in which 5.5% (3) had late parasitological failure and 3.6% (2) had late clinical failure. In our study, mean parasite clearance time was 45.2 ± 4.2 hrs. Conclusion: AS + SP is safe and effective drug for the treatment of uncomplicated falciparum malaria. However, the efficacy of this ACT needs to be carefully monitored periodically since treatment failure can occur due to resistance.

Last modified: 2014-10-26 22:17:04