AN EMPIRICAL STUDY ON PRODUCTS PORTFOLIO PERFORMANCE AMONG COMMERCIAL BANKS IN GHANA: A RETURN ON INVESTMENT PERSPECTIVEJournal: International Journal of Business Management & Research (IJBMR) (Vol.4, No. 5)
Publication Date: 2014-10-28
Authors : Emmanuel Opoku; Frank Frimpong Opuni; Lipsey Appiah Kwapong;
Page : 61-72
Keywords : Commercial Banks; Product Portfolio; Product; Financial Performance; Return on Investment;
Practically, commercial banks deal with a wide range of products that make up their product portfolio. Knowledge about the performance of each product by management of commercial banks is relevant to effective portfolio management. This study assesses the relative performance of products that make up the product portfolio of commercial banks in Ghana. Secondary data on 20 commercial banks in Ghana which span a period of five years (2009-2013) were used. The Analysis of Variance and ordinary least squares regression analysis were used to test hypotheses. Lending as a product contributes the highest revenue to financial return among commercial banks, followed by investment. Deposits and consultancy come with the lowest contributions to financial returns. Also, all products significantly predict financial performance in terms of return on investment at 5% significance level, with lending contributing the highest variance of 87.6%, followed by investment products (63.2%). Though lending and investment make the largest effects on financial performance, deposits and consultancy also significantly influence financial performance in the commercial banks.
Other Latest Articles
- THE EFFECTS OF START-UP CAPITAL, SUPPORTING FACILITIES AND YEAR OF ESTABLISHMENT ON THE NUMBER OF CUSTOMER VISITS TO COFFEE SHOPS IN BANDA ACEH
- A STUDY ON FINANCIAL PERFORMANCE OF PHARMACEUTICAL COMPANY USING FIVE POWER ANALYSES
- MODERN TRENDS AND STRATEGIC GUIDELINES FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF DOMESTIC TRADE
- WITH REGARD TO MOLDOVA’S INTEGRATION OPTIONS: QUO VADIS AGRI-FOOD TRADE?
- PROSPECTS FOR DEVELOPMENT OF DOMESTIC TRADE IN UKRAINE
Last modified: 2014-10-29 21:22:39