ASSESSING STUDENT NURSES KNOWLEDGE AND AWARENESS OF CULTURAL DIVERSITY NURSINGJournal: International Journal of Advanced Research (Vol.9, No. 01)
Publication Date: 2021-01-20
Authors : Olutoyin Elizabeth Okeya;
Page : 47-61
Keywords : Cultural Diversity Cultural Competence Cultural Knowledge Cultural Awareness Cultural Skill;
Britains rapid increasing diverse population and culturally sensitive care is becoming an important part of nursing and midwifery care, hence the need to explore the level of student nurses skills of cultural diversity nursing. In order to provide the patients with adequate and appropriate holistic care, the nurse must recognise differences in how diverse ethnic groups and cultures view health and sickness. Qualitative descriptive research method was used to assess the knowledge of third-year student nurses and midwives in a North West of England University. The study was conducted using a descriptive survey from a questionnaire that consists of open and closed-ended questions developed by the researcher. Investigations reveal a lack of knowledge and confidence in caring for the cultural needs of the participants patients. It was discovered that participants knowledge and skills of cultural diversity nursing was not enhanced to promote cultural diversity nursing care. The participants identified a lack of opportunities to work with multi-agencies that provide care to culturally diverse patients. These same participants report relatively high awareness of patients culture as a determining factor in achieving efficient and effective treatment regime. It is recommended that nurse educators find creative educational methods to ensure that students have sufficient clinical experience to support students to meet the patients cultural needs and promote high standard of care.
Other Latest Articles
- A CLINICAL STUDY OF NEODYMIUM YAG LASER CAPSULOTOMY- THE PATTERN AND ENERGY USED FOR VARIOUS GRADES OF PCO AND OUTCOME
- INFLUENCE DE LA FERMENTATION LACTIQUE SUR LES PROPRIETES ANTIOXYDANTES ET LES TENEURS EN POLYPHENOLS TOTAUX DE NECTARS DE MANGUE
- UNDERSTANDING LA LIGA: ARE MATCH PERFORMANCES AND PLAYER MARKET VALUE RELATED?
- ETUDE DE LA SENSIBILITE VARIETALE DE LA TOMATE (SOLANUM LYCOPERSICUM L.) AU FLETRISSEMENT BACTERIEN DU A RALSTONIA SOLANACEARUM DANS LA VALLEE DU FLEUVE SENEGAL
- ECOLOGICAL ASPECTS OF BIOSECURITY IN MODERN AGROECOSYSTEMS
Last modified: 2021-02-13 16:27:59