ResearchBib Share Your Research, Maximize Your Social Impacts
Sign for Notice Everyday Sign up >> Login

Environmental Assessment of Polyethylene Bags: A Case Study in Khartoum State, Republic of Sudan

Journal: International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR) (Vol.4, No. 3)

Publication Date:

Authors : ; ; ; ;

Page : 383-388

Keywords : Polyethylene bags; waste management; Environmental Assessment; Khartoum-Sudan;

Source : Downloadexternal Find it from : Google Scholarexternal


Polyethylene or polythene bags are made from ethylene, a gas that is produced as a by-product of oil, gas and coal production. Most plastic is not biodegradable and will survive in the environment for hundreds of years. Sudan has seen an increasing problem with plastic waste as Khartoum state alone generated 132, 112 tons annually. Therefore, the effects of the polyethylene bags refuse on the environment were studied in Sudan (Khartoum), as an attempt to highlight the current consumptions surrounding the impact on the amount of litter generated and opportunities for their management. Methods Data of the study were collected by different quantitative and qualitative methods. Results It is evident that, the larger proportion (92.8 %) of the respondents used plastic bags more frequently as almost all aspects of daily life involve plastics use, so it leads to generation of huge quantity of plastic waste. Polyethylene bags factors (i. e. , Cheap, light weight, nice and easy to use) responsible for increasing trends of their usage and waste. All plastic waste materials are mixed with municipal solid wastes that are either land filled or incinerated. Nevertheless, only 35 % of this solid waste quantity is transferred to landfills, while the remaining 65 % is disposed of in open dumps. Therefore, light materials such as polyethylene bags in open containers and/or open dumps can easily float in a natural environment. However, the concern about their usage and disposal are not sustainable due to the misuse and ill managements. Beside the subsequent physical problems for wild and domestic mammals that die each year because of eating or being entangled in plastic. The situation is worsened in economically disadvantaged countries like Sudan. Conclusion On the light of the study results, the flow of plastic on the environment need to be stopped and the research encourages the usage of paper and traditional bags. Beside recycling and public awareness, especially the decision maker will be so helpful to take serious actions.

Last modified: 2021-06-30 21:34:49