The Effect of Perimenopausal Estrogen Levels on Depression and Anxiety: A Pilot StudyJournal: The European Research Journal (Vol.1, No. 1)
Publication Date: 2015-03-04
Authors : Buket Gungor; Mahmut Gungor; Ibrahim Taymur; Rustem Askin; Hakan Demirci; Yakup Akpınar; Almila Akgul;
Page : 8-13
Keywords : Perimenopause; depression; anxiety; FSH; estrogen;
Objectives. Among women in the perimenopausal period, rapid hormonal changes can be seen. In the present study, we aimed to investigate the relationship between depression, anxiety and changing estrogen hormone levels at menopause. Materials and Methods. The research group was composed of 30 perimenopausal women who had FSH levels higher than 20 IU and irregular menses. Anxiety and depression status was assessed with the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale. Patients with or without depression or serious anxiety were compared in terms of age, body mass index (BMI), hot flushes, smoking, premenstrual syndrome (PMS) and estrogen levels. Results. There were no statistically significant differences in terms of hot flushes, BMI, smoking, age, and PMS in patients with or without depression/anxiety. Estrogen levels were statistically significantly lower in the group with depression compared to the group without depression (p=0.026). Conclusion. We believe that falling levels of estrogen in the perimenopausal period can be considered to be a risk factor for depression. The possible role of estrogen replacement in the treatment of depression and anxiety should be investigated in further studies.
Other Latest Articles
- The Role of Metformin on Serum Vitamin B12 Levels in Patients with Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
- Are gender, medium of instruction, economic strata and working status of mother predictors of adjustment of adolescents ?
- Integrated Pest Management of Oryctes Monoceros, Rhynchophorus Phoenicis and Latoia Viridissima in Okomu Oil Palm Plantation, Nigeria
- Relationship between Tobacco Crop Evapotranspiration and the Normalized Difference Vegetation Index
- Evaluation of Heterosis in Pearl Millet (Pennisetum Glaucum (L.) R. Br) for Agronomic Traits and Resistance to Downy Mildew (Sclerospora Graminicola)
Last modified: 2015-07-30 16:20:09