ResearchBib Share Your Research, Maximize Your Social Impacts
Sign for Notice Everyday Sign up >> Login

Prevalence of Listeria monocytogenes in pork-meat and other processed products from the Colombian swine industry

Journal: REVISTA MVZ CÓRDOBA (Vol.17, No. 1)

Publication Date:

Authors : ; ; ; ; ; ;

Page : 2827-2833

Keywords : L. monocytogenes; porcine; pork-meat; prevalence;

Source : Downloadexternal Find it from : Google Scholarexternal


Objective. To determine the prevalence of L. monocytogenes in pork carcasses, meat cuts, and meat products ("chorizo", sausage and ham). Materials and methods. Stratified sampling was implemented in meat-processed products. We analyzed 566 (37%) carcasses, 472 (31%) meat cuts, and 481, (32%) meat-processed products, distributed as follows: 169 (11%) sausage, 163 (11%) ham, and 149 (10%) "chorizo", for a total of 1519 (100%) samples in a period of 18 months. The samples were processed using the ISO-17604, ISO-11290-1 and the USDA/FSIS (MLG-8.03) methods. Genus and species were confirmed by multiplex-PCR. Results. We obtained isolates of L. monocytogenes from 21 carcasses (10%), 160 (76%) from meat deboning, 10 (5%) from ham, 6 (3%) from "chorizo", and 13 (6%) from sausage. The prevalence found was 3.7% and 33.9% in carcasses and meat deboning respectively. The prevalence in the meat-processed products was 4.03% in "chorizo", 6.13% in ham and 7.69% in sausage. The overall prevalence of L. monocytogenes in the study was 13.82%. Conclusions. We found L. monocytogenes in different products analyzed, with particular interest in ham and sausage since both are consumed without previous heat treatment.

Last modified: 2016-07-13 22:26:18