Chemical and Functional Characterization of Baobab (Adansonia Digitata L.) Seed Protein Concentrate using Alcohol Extraction MethodJournal: International Journal of Environment, Agriculture and Biotechnology (Vol.2, No. 5)
Publication Date: 2017-09-12
Authors : Adenekan M.K. Fadimu G.J. Odunmbaku L.A. Nupo S.S. Oguntoyinbo S.I. Oke E.K.;
Page : 2554-2558
Keywords : Baobab; protein concentrate; alcohol; chemical composition; functional properties.;
This study investigated the characteristics of baobab protein concentrate prepared using alcohol extraction method. Baobab fruit and the seeds were washed out, cleaned to remove dirt, sundried for three days and finally ground in an electric mill, sieved and stored. The flour was defatted with hexane under constant magnetic stirring for 3hrs. The slurry was vacuum filtered through filter paper and the residue was used for subsequent extraction. The result obtained showed that alcohol extraction method significantly (p<0.05) affected the chemical composition and functional properties of the baobab protein isolate. Result of functional properties shows that the alcohol extracted baobab protein concentrate displayed higher solubility index and emulsifying capacity. Baobab protein concentrate can be considered as potential functional food ingredient.
Other Latest Articles
- Assessment of the Relative Suitability of Three Different Soils for Dry Season Lettuce Production in Ghana
- Formation of Network Resources of Ukrainian Bibliographers Studies and its Development Prospects
- The "Crucifixion" subject on narrative centerpieces of Ukrainian stamped bindings of ХVІ–ХVІІІ centuries and unification of description for databases
- Correspondence of M. M. Berezhkov and K. M. Bestuzhev-Riumin: the source study review
- From unpublished heritage of a famous linguist: an article of A. O. Biletsky "Σαστήρ – vox obscura"
Last modified: 2017-10-26 01:06:25