HIV/AIDS AND UNIVERSITY STUDENTS: ASSESSMENT OF HIGH RISK SEXUAL BEHAVIOUR AND CONDOM UTILIZATION, UNIVERSITY OF GONDAR, NORTH WEST ETHIOPIAJournal: International journal of Pharmaceuticals and Health care research (Vol.01, No. 1)
Publication Date: 2013-03-31
Authors : Abdrrahman Shemsu Zeryawkal Ergetie Bayew Tsega;
Page : 28-35
Keywords : HIV; AIDS; Sexually Transmitted Diseases.;
High risk sexual behaviours are potentially linked to Human Immune Deficiency Virus/Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (HIV/AIDS) and other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STDs). HIV/AIDS is unique in its devastating impact on the social, economic and demographic development. Condom use and sexual behavior changes have very significant effect in preventing HIV/AIDS and sexually transmitted infections (STIs). The objective of this study was to assess high?risk sexual behavior and pattern of condom utilization among students of University of Gondar (UOG). A cross-sectional study was used to assess sexual behavior and patterns of condom use. Data was collected using semi-structured questionnaire and the data analysis was made using Statistical Package for Social Sciences (SPSS) version 20.0. Out of the total respondent, 290(74.5%) reported to have ever had sexual intercourse and 99 (25.5%) never had it. The mean age of the respondents at the first sexual intercourse was 17.9 years for males and 17.2 years for females. Higher proportion (46.7%) of male respondents (had desire) and females (34.1%) (Falling in love) was their major reason to have their first intercourse. Out of 290 respondents, 84.5 % (82.6% males and 87.0% females) reported to have sexual intercourse within last 12 months. From the 167 male and 123 female respondents 151 (90.4%) males and 108 (87.8%) females reported to had ever used condom. Sixty four (38.3%) reported to have ever had sexual contact with commercial sex workers (CSWs), 59(92.2%) used condom, the rest 5 (7.8%) have never used condom with CSW. The study showed that most of UOG students are engage in high-risk sexual behavior as they are using condom inconsistently.
Other Latest Articles
Last modified: 2013-04-30 22:10:43