Study of Clinical, Etiological and Laboratory Profile of Pericardial EffusionJournal: International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR) (Vol.11, No. 2)
Publication Date: 2022-02-05
Authors : Jyoti M. Kharche; Sushen Limbaji Ghadge; Indrajit Vithalrao Suryavanshi;
Page : 222-226
Keywords : pericardial effusion; Tuberculosis; Echocardiography;
Introduction: Pericardial effusion is one of the common diseases. The aetiology of pericardial effusion varies according to demography like age, geography and co-morbidity. Pericardial effusion can be caused by various local and systemic disorders, like infections, malignancy, renal failure etc. In developing countries it remains under reported like India and that is why study was undertaken to study clinical profile of pericardial effusion, laboratory profile of pericardial effusion and etiological factors of pericardial effusion. Material & Methods: The observational hospital based study is carried out in the department of medicine, MGM Medical College and Hospital, Aurangabad [MH], India. The duration of study is 2 years. Any patient admitted with pericardial effusion and confirmed by echocardiography underwent complete clinical examination. Observations and Results: In present study, out of 40 studied subjects, there are 25 (62.5%) males and 15 (37.5 %) females. The predominant symptom 90% is dyspnoea followed by fever 70%. Predominant cardiomegaly (92.5%) as the sign. Others being tachycardia, pedal oedema, pericardial rub and raised JVP.55% patients had serous fluid appearance.17.5% cases had haemorrhagic fluid appearance. Very low i. e.7.5% patients had purulent fluid appearance. Tuberculosis is the most common cause 37.5% of pericardial effusion followed by uraemia 20%. Conclusion: In present study, 72.5% cases have moderate and 27.5% have severe pericardial effusion. Dyspnoea, fever are predominant symptoms and Tachycardia being the commonest sign. Tuberculosis pericardial effusion is one of the commonest causes of pericardial effusion in our country and early diagnosis and treatment can prevent complications.
Other Latest Articles
- Impact of Lifestyle on Academic Performance among Undergraduate Students in Selected Nursing College of Moradabad District U. P.
- Attitude & Awareness, Problems & Solutions Related to Traffic in Hyderabad
- Case Report of Mayer-Rokitansky-Kuster-Hauser Syndrome associated with Renal Anomoly Diagnosed Incidently in a Patient with Acute Abdomen
- Ecotourism Development Strategy of Kupang Bay Marine Nature Tourism Park
- Risk of Subsequent Miscarriage Increases after Each Miscarriage in Patient visiting Shree Bhawani Hospital and Research Center
Last modified: 2022-05-14 21:00:31