Phytochemical screening and nutraceutical potential of sandbox tree (Hura crepitans L.) seed oilJournal: "Foods and Raw materials" Journal (Vol.7, No. 1)
Publication Date: 2019-06-10
Authors : Ajani O.O. Owoeye F.T. Owolabi F.E. Akinlabu D.K. Audu O.Y.;
Page : 143-150
Keywords : Fatty acid; secondary metabolites; Soxhlet; Hura crepitans; proximate test;
The aim of this research was to assess the nutraceutical potential of Hura crepitans seed oil in food chemi- stry. For that, we determined the phytochemical composition, physicochemical parameters, mineral composition, as well as proximates of the oil under study. The yield of the oil obtained by the Soxhlet method was 47.8 ± 0.2%. According to the phytochemical screening result, the oil contained saponin, alkaloid, terpenoids, steroids, and cardenolides. Quantitative analysis of proximates for the Hura crepitans seed oil displayed 10.1 ± 0.4% of protein, 19.4 ± 0.1% of crude fibres, 14.5 ± 0.5% of carbohydrates, 5.3 ± 0.2% of water, and 2.9 ± 0.1% of ash. Some selected physicochemical parameters such as refractive index, pH, and specific gravity were 1.47; 5.2; and 0.80, respectively. Cloud point was 6.20°C. Metal content determination revealed the presence of mineral substances such as magne- sium (119.51 ± 0.25 mg/kg), potassium (4.25 ± 0.04 ppm), iron (4.01 ± 0.03 mg/kg), manganese (3.66 ± 0.02 ppm), so- dium (2.18 ± 0.02 ppm), calcium (0.11 ± 0.001 ppm), zinc (0.04 ± 0.001 µg/g), and cadmium (0.0028 ± 0.0004 mg/kg). However, such minerals as nickel and lead were not detected. The structural analyse was carried out based on phy- sicochemical properties and spectroscopic data of the Hura crepitans seed oil. The results of the research proved the nutraceutical potential of this oil to use as raw materials in various areas of industry.
Other Latest Articles
- Impact of Costco Brand Name Hearing Aid Expansion on Otolaryngology Office Hearing Aid Revenue
- An Unusual Cause of Upper Airway Obstruction in Newborn: Congenital Nasal Pyriform Aperture Stenosis
- Is Tinnitus Retraining Therapy effective in managing Persistent Tinnitus after Middle Ear Surgery?
- Phosphotungstic acid supported on functionalized graphene oxide nanosheets (GO-SiC3-NH3-H2PW): Preparation, characterization, and first catalytic application in the synthesis of amidoalkyl naphthols
- In-situ preconcentration, and electrochemical sensing of Zinc(II) and Copper(II) based on ionic liquid mediated hollow fiber-modified pencil graphite electrode using response surface methodology
Last modified: 2019-06-26 15:36:42